Car & Home Loans

All you need to buy property in Colombia is a passport; you do not need to be a resident or have a cédula. However, getting a car or home loan in Colombia is not be as simple as it likely is in your home country. In fact, even Colombian nationals rarely take loans, and most real estate transactions are done in cash. However, getting a home loan in Colombia is not impossible, even if you’re not married to a Colombian.

Build a Relationship

The first step is building a relationship with a bank, and you can do that before you even move to Colombia by opening an investment account in Colombia. All you need is a passport; you do not need to be physically present in this country. After you arrive in Colombia and have a cédula, you can open a personal bank account in Colombia or a corporate bank account in Colombia, if applicable.

The-expats-law-firm -c

Related Topics of Interest for You:

How to Buy Real Estate in Colombia
Colombia Customs Import Export
How-To-Get-Colombia Business Visitor Visa

Establish Yourself in Colombia

To be considered for a loan, you will need to be fairly well-established in Colombia, having lived in the country for at least six months (the more time, the better) with a cédula. It’s also helpful if you plan to live in the home you’re buying rather than use it as a rental property.

Be Prepared for a Down Payment

If you are accepted for the loan, you will likely be expected to give a 30% down payment for a 5-15 year mortgage term. That would be, of course, after lots and lots of paperwork.

Our Colombian accountants and bilingual assistants can help you prepare financial statements and outline a strategy to build credit in Colombia, which may include tax planningColombia Legal & Associates SAS offers a variety of services for individuals who are ready to start a life in Colombia.

Open chat

Please let us know how we can help you!

If you give us your name and email we can send you more detailed information in English & Spanish if needed.

You can also send us email to: or call +1-305-767-2766, +57-313-390-7109, +57-301-337-1881, +57-604-444-6634 (landline).